Our goal is to deliver an operating system which works as a client for your existing shared/virtualized desktop infrastructure. Thin client model improves the security (no data are stored locally), simplifies the maintenance and allows to reduce hardware costs and energy consumption as all desktop applications are hosted on the server side.
Why Porteus Kiosk variant "ThinClient" and not any other operating system offering similar functionality?
There are many areas where our system has strong points:
What are the main differences with parent Porteus Kiosk system?
1) Enable full persistence for the session so last connected server will be remembered:
2) Use 'run_command=' parameter to autostart Citrix Receiver during system boot:
- run_command=su - guest -c "/opt/Citrix/ICAClient/selfservice --icaroot /opt/Citrix/ICAClient" &
If you want to have only Citrix Receiver available on ThinClient without bottom panel and other applications then please use this parameter:
- run_command=while true; do su - guest -c "/opt/Citrix/ICAClient/selfservice --icaroot /opt/Citrix/ICAClient"; done
How can I automatically start Remmina application and connect to remote desktop on multiple clients preserving the same connection settings?
1) Boot Porteus Kiosk ThinClient, open Remmina application and add new connection to it. Once new connection is saved please confirm that its working by connecting to remote PC.
2) Your connection file will be created in the /home/guest/.local/share/remmina folder. Please upload it using the browser/SSH to a web storage or Porteus Kiosk Server. When using the browser you need to right mouse click on the filepicker window and activate 'Show Hidden Files' option otherwise you wont be able to find /home/guest/.local folder which is hidden: screenshot.
3) Last step is to configure the clients to download connection file and autostart Remmina application during every system boot. You can utilize run_command parameter for this purpose.
If .remmina file is hosted on a web storage then please add this parameter to your kiosk config (change download URL and .remmina file name to match yours):
- run_command=su - guest -c "wget http://domain.com/files/rdp.remmina; remmina -c /home/guest/rdp.remmina &"
If .remmina file is hosted on Porteus Kiosk Server then following parameter should be used:
- run_command=pkget server://vnc.remmina /home/guest; su - guest -c "remmina -c /home/guest/vnc.remmina &"
If you want to have only e.g. SSH connection available on ThinClient without bottom panel and other applications then please use this parameter:
- run_command=wget http://domain.com/files/ssh.remmina -O /home/guest/ssh.remmina; while true; do su - guest -c "remmina -c /home/guest/ssh.remmina"; done
Please download Porteus Kiosk variant "ThinClient" from our download page and provide feedback which is necessary to improve this offering.