Our goal is to deliver an operating system which works as a client for your existing shared/virtualized desktop infrastructure. Thin client model improves the security (no data are stored locally), simplifies the maintenance and allows to reduce hardware costs and energy consumption as all desktop applications are hosted on the server side.
Why Porteus Kiosk variant "ThinClient" and not any other operating system offering similar functionality?
There are many areas where our system has strong points:
What are the main differences with parent Porteus Kiosk system?
How can I automatically start Remmina and connect to remote desktop on multiple clients?
1) Boot ThinClient, open Remmina application and add new connection to it. Once new connection is saved please confirm that its working.
2) Your connection file will be created in the /home/guest/.local/share/remmina folder. Please upload it using the browser/SSH to a web storage or Porteus Kiosk Server.
3) Last step is to configure the clients to download connection file and autostart Remmina application during every system boot. You can utilize run_command parameter for this purpose.
If .remmina file is hosted on a web storage then please add this parameter to your kiosk config (update download URL and .remmina file name):
- run_command=su - guest -c "mkdir -p /home/guest/.local/share/remmina; wget http://domain.com/files/file.remmina -O /home/guest/.local/share/remmina/file.remmina; remmina -c /home/guest/.local/share/remmina/file.remmina &"
If .remmina file is hosted on Porteus Kiosk Server then following parameter should be used:
- run_command=pkget server://file.remmina /tmp; su - guest -c "mkdir -p /home/guest/.local/share/remmina; cp /tmp/file.remmina /home/guest/.local/share/remmina; remmina -c /home/guest/.local/share/remmina/file.remmina &"
Please download Porteus Kiosk variant "ThinClient" from our download page and provide feedback which is necessary to improve this offering.